Posted in Doggies on 02. Aug, 2012
A few days ago I posted a story: Help Save Dre, a dog taken from his family in Colorado. To recap the story -
- On July 26th, two dogs got out of their home because a child got a hold of the garage door remote and accidentally pressed the button.
- The dogs, Dre and Machomotto, were running amuck through the neighborhood. Dre was barking at people and apparently some lady jumped into her car…for whatever that is worth.
- Several people called animal control and someone called 911 reporting “vicious” dogs running loose. Supposedly it took 5 officers to obtain Dre, thou NOT ONE person was injured, bitten or scratched.
- NO ONE was injured – bit, scratched, scathed, tripped or otherwise.
- Around 2:15pm that same day Officer Herrera called Mary to say that 7 people called in with complaints and she was no longer releasing Dre. Instead, she was planning to contest to the Judge that Dre be destroyed.
- Dre had a hearing on Tuesday, July 31 at 10:00am.
The publicity that surrounded Dre angered the DA, who has decided that they are going to pursue the death penalty for Dre because he has been brought to the public eye. They are angry about the amount of emails they have received due to the petition that was created.
As stated by my friend Chloe, “Animal Control is claiming that they have and well this is a surprise a video with Dre showing signs of ‘aggression’ at the shelter. Lets see: Dre is being held in a concrete cell, is not allowed a bed (he has arthritis) not allowed his meds or special food (he is on a strict diet due to allergies), he has been ripped away from his family for no reason other than discrimination, and from my understanding has been in the cage since last Wednesday. No walks even allowed by Mary when she visits him. If and when that is even allowed.
I would be a little upset too.”
A day ago the family of Dre posted the following on their “Plea to Free Dre” Facebook page:
Fellow DRE supporters.
Thank you for your patience — and we deeply regret the confusion that the disruption to this page and a long silence may be causing.
So much is going on behind the scenes, you just wouldn’t believe it.
We can’t post an update right now, but we’re working on it. Please be patient, and please, please, please keep the faith for Dre.
Dre’s next hearing is August 10 at 8:30 am in Brighton, CO and the family has hired an attorney. They’ve set up a
ChipIn and posted the following:
Dre has no previous violations, no running at large, no nuisance animal citations, no vicious animal citations, he is licensed, micro chipped, UTD on all immunizations, is well behaved and a beloved family pet.
The City of Brighton, CO doesnt see it that way. The city’s animal control is attempting to railroad this dog and owner (Mary and Rick O’Brien) into a bogus criminal charge of harboring a vicious animal.
HELP US HELP THE O’BRIEN’S STOP THIS BOGUS ACTION.
All we ask is for $1 per donor. 100% of all donations go to the Animal Law Center of Wheat Ridge, CO
We Thank You, The O’Brien’s Thank You, and Dre thanks you!!!
Address all inquiries to David Edelstein of Team Pit-a-Full @ David@TeamPitAFull.org
Please sign the petition if you haven’t already.
Also, will you give $1 to help save Dre?
Lastly, if you live in the area, please make signs and show up at court to show your support for Dre and his family. I am sure they will be very grateful.