Posted in Doggies on 26. Feb, 2013
Today, “going green” is a widespread movement across the United States. Recycling, energy efficient cars and organic products are starting to become the norm. So why shouldn’t you treat your pets to the same eco-friendly products? Here are the reasons why you and your pet should go green – and the best natural pet products to buy.
Why go green with your pet?
• You will continue to help the environment. If you already purchase organic products, you can further reduce your carbon footprint by extending your green lifestyle to include your pet. Pet owners know that pets require quite a few products over their lifetimes; buying eco-friendly products for years will not only benefit your pet, but also help the earth.
• Give your pet the nutrition it deserves. Many common pet foods contain filler ingredients with little nutritional value. Also, certain pet companies are still adding harmful preservatives like BHT to their products. Do you want your beloved pooch consuming those ingredients? As the push for healthier, organic food continues, organic cat and dog food companies are taking initiative and beginning to create healthier pet food options. Some organic pet companies even stress that their natural pet products are safe for both pets and humans.
What eco-friendly products should you buy for your pet?
• Organic pet food – Don’t feed your furry friend anything but the best. Try organic pet food from companies like Castor & Pollux, these natural pet foods do not include artificial preservatives or chemicals that could affect your pet’s health. Some brands are even allergen-free; they do not include common pet allergens like corn and soy.
• Eco-friendly waste bags – When you bag up your pet’s waste in a plastic bag, it sits in a landfill for years without decomposing. Instead, help reduce landfill waste by trying biodegradable waste bags. Many of these unique natural pet products are also made from recycled materials. Another option is to purchase compostable waste bags, which will decompose within several weeks.
• Green pet carriers – Sites like EarthDoggy.com offer eco-friendly pet carriers made of recycled materials or organic fibers. Many green pet carriers include water bowls and blankets for easy traveling with your pooch or cat. Before you take a road trip with your furry friend, make sure you both are covered under an insurance policy. While you are browsing green pet carriers online, check out insurance quotes and compare car insurance reviews to get the best policy for you and your furry friend.
• Biodegradable kitty litter – Not only is the process of creating clay-based cat litter harmful to the environment, but the end product is also not biodegradable when it is thrown away after use. Natural kitty litter is made from organic materials, such as cedar chips or recycled paper. Best of all, it is biodegradable and won’t sit in a landfill for years.
Going green with your pet will help shrink you and your pet’s carbon footprint by simply buying natural pet products. Also, you will be assured that your dog or cat will be eating healthier food options (and not meat meal) when you go green and purchase organic pet food. Whether you choose to try the eco-friendly waste bags or biodegradable cat litter, you and your pet will be contributing to making our planet a greener, better place.
Christina Miller loves to write, especially about business. She holds a B.A. in Marketing. Christina’s favorite things include traveling, reading, and exploring new restaurants in Cleveland.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Nationwide Insurance. DoggiesandStuff.com only shares news and information for things we support and approve of.