Frozen Watermelon Stars For Pups and People

©Doggies and Stuff

©Doggies and Stuff

Who doesn’t love watermelon?  I so look forward to my first bite of watermelon every year and can’t wait to see that nice big bin full of them in the grocery store.  If I could buy them by the bin full I definitely would!  Unfortunately, my kitchen barely has room for two people to stand in, let alone a giant bin full of watermelon!!

©Doggies and Stuff

©Doggies and Stuff

Watermelon is full of nutrition!  Each slice packs a vitamin punch of Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Vitamin B6.  It also contains the highest concentrations of lycopene – more than any other fresh fruit or vegetable! And if that’s not enough, it also hydrates and is low in fat.

©Doggies and Stuff

©Doggies and Stuff

I’m not the only one in the house obsessed with watermelon; Riley goes bananas for watermelon!  Kiko and Millie like it as well, but Riley gets very excited when I bring the watermelon out.

©Doggies and Stuff

©Doggies and Stuff

Since Thursday is Independence Day, I decided to make some frozen watermelon in star molds to celebrate the holiday! Simply mash some watermelon, pour into molds and freeze.  Super easy!  You can eat them as is or place one or two in a glass of cold water to give your water a subtle kick of flavor.  If you’re having guests over, they will love this!

Doggies and Stuff

©Doggies and Stuff

Enjoy!

13 Responses to “Frozen Watermelon Stars For Pups and People”

1. Olivia Rubin says:

We have been eating watermelon like its a competition…Luv it. I ate half a watermelon yesterday (my confession). We get the seedless and snack away. Lov the way it sounds when she munches on it. I learned she also likes pinapple ( just a bit, cause its acid) and raspberries and strawberries.

I have been buying a whole watermelon and ask product to cut it in half…too heavy to lug up a flight of stairs. When I get home I cut off the rind from it and wrap it in Saran Wrap. That way it doesn’t take up much room and won’t break,the fridge.

• Doreen says:

Yes, we also get the seedless, even though the seedless have some seeds. Riley loves, loves, loves her watermelon. She comes running as soon as she hears me getting it out.

2. Flea says:

They’re so CUTE! I love the sight of them in the water glass!

3. LOVE! watermelon too especially on a HOT HOT day. Happy Tasty Tuesday. Enjoy your 4th. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

4. Champ says:

Hey, those look tasty! I don’t know if I have had watermelon, which is odd because my hometown is famous for them! I’m going to ask Mom nicely to make me some.

BTW, how do you think they’d freeze if you just sliced them to about 1″ and used a cookie cutter on them? Would they be dense enough?

• Doreen says:

Hmmm, good question! I’m not sure but please come back and let us know if it works for you! It’s worth a try!

5. I’m wondering how you mash the watermelon…in a processor maybe? I love the idea of frozen watermelon cubes in my ice water…have to try that one

• Doreen says:

Gizmo – I used a fork and place the watermelon in my measuring cup. I first poured the liquid into the molds and then added the mashed up watermelon.

6. Gotta get some watermelon soon! I love the star ones floating in the mason jars – fun way for friends visiting!

7. We LOVE using watermelon as an ice cube in water – so do the pups. I think watermelon might be Felix’s favourite treat! Thanks for sharing these on Tasty Tuesday!

8. Andrea Geyer says:

Thanks so much for this awesome idea!! I missed it for the 4th, but watermelon is a favorite in my house (both the dogs and I) I can’t wait to put them in the water bowls!
    Thanks for sharing :)