Kiko has been suffering for some time with allergies. Problem is, we didn’t know the source. There was a spot on her chest that she would scratch and scratch and scratch; it got really red and irritated (see photos below). I tried Benedryl and then Zyrtec. I also tried putting lavender oil on it and even holistic anti-itch sprays but no luck. Around the time it started to get really bad, I received an opportunity to join the Natural Balance Insiders. This is a small group of bloggers that work closely with Natural Balance because we embody their mission to encourage pets and their owners to live a life filled with good health, exercise, training, and of course, fun! It was at that time that I was able to speak to a nutritionist there and we talked about Kiko’s skin issues. She encouraged me to start Kiko out on Dick Van Patten’s Natural Balance® L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets® Sweet Potato & Venison Dry Formula.
Figuring out what protein allergy your dog has can take time. I knew that once I started Kiko on the L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets, it would be a couple of months before we saw any results, if food was the culprit. Dick Van Patten’s Natural Balance® L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets® comes in multiple varieties: Lamb Meal & Brown Rice (Available in Large and Small Breed), Legume & Duck Meal, Potato & Duck (available in small breed), Potato & Rabbit, Sweet Potato & Bison, Sweet Potato & Chicken (available in small breed), Sweet Potato & Fish (available in small breed) and Sweet Potato & Venison. The L.I.D. formulas are also available in canned food. These grain-free formulas contain limited ingredients that are great alternatives for allergy-prone pets!
Not all dogs have food allergies. In fact, food allergies only account for 10% of all canine allergies. Your vet can help you determine if your dog has a food allergy or if it has a food intolerance as these are two different things. The most common ingredients for allergies are chicken and beef, milk, eggs, fish, potatoes, soy, corn wheat gluten and additives. The most common symptom is itching, scratching and chewing, which is why I thought Kiko had a food allergy. Her itching and scratching was severe. If you know for sure that your dog has a food allergy, start with a Limited Ingredient Dog Food like Dick Van Patten’s Natural Balance® L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets®.
We have finally started seeing her get better and I just added the L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets® Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dry Formula. You have no idea how happy I am that Kiko now has two flavors of food. I have always tried to give the girls a variety of flavors to eat. I do that because I would hate to eat it the same thing three times a day for the rest of my life, so why would I give my dogs the same thing twice a day?
Dick Van Patten’s Natural Balance® L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets® is exactly that, a limited ingredient pet food with a limited number of protein and carbohydrate sources. By limiting the ingredients, you can help identify the source of the problem and help your pet become healthier and happy. You have to be patient, however. When switching kibble, it can take a couple of months to notice any difference.
WIN IT: One (1) winner will receive the Dick Van Patten’s Natural Balance® L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets® Swag Box pictured above. Yep – ALL of it!
DATES: August 26 – September 14, 2013 (Midnight, EST)
To Enter (mandatory):
- Subscribe to Doggies and Stuff. You must be a registered subscriber via RSS Feed or Email. Email subscribers must validate their subscription in order to be entered. If not, your comment will not be approved. Simply leave a comment below, “I Subscribe via Email” or “I Subscribe via RSS Feed”. (1 entry)
- Become a Member of our Club NB NewsletterClub NB members are the first to hear about news and special offers from Natural Balance! I have been a member of Club NB since 2009! To sign up, please visit www.naturalbalanceinc.com, scroll to the bottom of the page. (1 entry)
You can earn extra entries:
- Like Doggies and Stuff and Natural Balanceon Facebook. (1 entry)
- Follow Doggies and Stuff and Natural Balance on Twitter. (1 entry)
- Tweet- by first clicking the tweet button below the post (daily-1 entry for each daily tweet-Be sure to come back and comment each time) by tweeting: Win a @NaturalBalance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets® Swag Box at @DoggiesAndStuff http://doggiesandstuff.com/?p=12982 #promotion #giveaway
- Share-this giveaway on Facebook (one time only) by clicking the FB button below this post. (1 entry)
- Pin – Repin our pin of this post on Pinterest and follow Doggies and Stuff and Natural Balance. (1 entry)
- Google+ Check the plus 1 on our Google + link for this post and add Doggies and Stuff and Natural Balance to your circle.
- Follow – Follow Doggies and Stuff on Instagram. (1 entry)
Leave a comment FOR EACH, i.e. I “Like” on Facebook and/or I “Follow” on Twitter! Each comment will earn you one entry. If you leave one comment stating “Followed, Liked, Tweeted, etc.” this will only earn you ONE ENTRY TOTAL, so be sure to leave a comment for each to earn your multiple entries.
For your privacy, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ADD YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS TO YOUR COMMENTS because I get your email address when you register your comment.
Open to 18+ USA residents who are active subscribers of my blog (So sorry to my Canadian readers).
Winners will be chosen using random.org and will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen.
I reserve the right to not approve comments for any reason. Comments will definitely not be approved for the following reasons:
- Do not leave a link back to your site, or to your giveaways, asking me or other subscribers to enter your giveaways. If you want to promote your blog please email me to discuss a way to work together.
- Any comments that do not pertain to this review or giveaway will be deleted.
- Any rude or obscene comments will not be approved.
- All spam comments will be deleted.
No purchase is necessary to enter. A purchase will not increase your chances of winning.
This blog will make every effort to deliver prizes or have prizes delivered to the winner. However unlikely the scenario may be; this blog and its author are not responsible for giveaway prizes that are lost in transit or damaged. This blog is also not responsible if a sponsor/company does not send prize(s). Blog author will communicate with said company(s) several times, in an effort to resolve issue. Please allow 4 to 8 weeks for your prize to be delivered. The company providing the give-away product has the authority to substitute the winning item for any reason.
If you have unsubscribed from Doggies and Stuff in the past because you were unsuccessful at winning a giveaway, and are now trying to re-subscribe to win a current giveaway, you will be ineligible for any giveaways until you have been re-subscribed for 6 months. After your 6 month trial period, you will be eligible again to participate in entering to win our giveaways. This keeps it fair for our regular subscribers.
ONE ENTRY PER HOUSEHOLD / IP ADDRESS
Disclaimer: As a Natural Balance Insider, I share information with my readers about Natural Balance and their Products, their Charitable Foundation and More. The opinions listed are strictly my own honest opinions of the products we have used. We absolutely do feed Natural Balance in our home and I stand by their products.
The products and the claims made within this blog post and blog posts in future updates to my readers on our (Kiko’s) progress are all my own. I am not a veterinarian and nothing in this post or future posts are meant to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease or any other ailment your pet may have. The information provided is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your veterinarian or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. You should not use the information in this blog post for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or for prescription of any medication or other treatment for your pet. Please talk to your veterinarian about any problems your pet is having.